> > New Volvo App Allows iPhone or Android to Remote Checking Volvo Vehicle
New Volvo App Allows iPhone or Android to Remote Checking Volvo Vehicle
09 June 2011 - The European division of Volvo has just announced it has released a new mobile application that allows the driver to stay in touch with his car via an iPhone or Android smart phone. He or she can thus control it after the car is parked, from anywhere and at anytime.
Owners of all new Volvo models (from model year 2012) with Volvo On Call can download the new application, without worrying about the privacy and the security of the system.
"We design cars around people's needs and lifestyle. Creating an intuitive and ergonomically optimised driver's environment is part of our aim to offer a feeling of relaxed control. It is only logical that you should feel in command of your vehicle, including after you have parked it," said Stefan Jacoby, President and CEO at Volvo Car Corporation.
"This is much more than a gadget. The mobile application is the first step in our connectivity strategy. We have started to build a bridge to the future - and the mobile app will be extended with a range of possibilities," he added.
The mobile application includes a number of features:
• Car locator. The location of the car is shown on a map. There is also a digital compass that points the driver in the right direction. If necessary, the car horn and indicators can be activated to facilitate the search.
• Remote door lock. The status of all doors and windows is displayed - and the driver can lock and unlock the car with a push on the touch screen.
• Vehicle dashboard. This feature gives the driver access to a wide range of information: fuel level, remaining range to empty tank, average fuel consumption, average speed, odometer reading and trip meter reading.
• Car check. The mobile app performs a "health" check of the car, displaying information about bulbs, break fluid level, coolant level, engine oil level and engine oil pressure.
• Driving journal. Detailed data of each trip during the last 40 days can be downloaded and stored. There is also a possibility to extract the data as an Excel file - a perfect feature for company car owners.
• Vehicle information. Basic car data such as model, registration number and VIN number are stored and can be displayed.
• Theft notification. If the car alarm is triggered, the driver is alerted via the mobile app.
• This new Volvo On Call generation still includes all the safety and security aspects that are part of the first generation.